News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Sandbach United and Cammell Laird forced to settle for a point at Hind Heath Road.

Sandbach United and Cammell Laird forced to settle for a point at Hind Heath Road.

Oliver Byron31 Oct 2023 - 10:20
Share via

Declan Swan’s men were unlucky to concede before half time, after a great well-worked goal, scored by George Kattah in the 24th minute.

Written by Daniel Needham.
After winning five out of their last six games, Sandbach were looking to resume their great form and continue to climb the league table against Cammell Laird 1907.

The Ramblers had a strong starting line-up, despite a few absences such as Liam Fitzpatrick and Robbie Hatton. Harry Payne stepped up into the team, alongside Jordan Stafford who captained the hosts.

Sandbach United had a great opportunity to take the lead early in the match, from Harry Payne. George Kattah held up the ball well before squaring it to Payne, whose shot is dragged wide to deny Sandbach a goal.

However, Bach were giving away possession easily within the first 15 minutes, allowing Cammell Laird to break and have chances on the counter attack.

In the 24th minute, Sandbach went ahead with a well-worked goal scored by George Kattah. Great wing play from Niall Cope and Kieran Alley led to a cross into the box, met by Kattah. Kattah turned away from the defender, and his bottom corner finish rolled into the back of the net.

Only five minutes later, Jay Harvey equalised for the Merseyside club. The controversial goal came after Tom Morris was brought down on the halfway line, and no foul was given against the visitors. Jay Harvey took the ball onto his left foot to find the bottom corner.
Although Sandbach had several chances to take the lead before half-time, they were not clinical enough in front of goal.

At the start of the second half, Stan Tatters had two great chances for Sandbach, including a deflected shot and an effort which hit the crossbar.

Throughout the second half, both teams were pushing for a winning goal, with chances and opportunities in front of goal for both teams. However, the hosts were the more dominant side with good build up play and fast ball recovery times.

In the 85th minute, Sandbach came close to a winning goal from a corner. It was whipped in to defender, Tom Morris, whose powerful header ended up off target.

During the five minutes of additional time, the Ramblers had a great effort to gain three points. Joshua Oultram took a long range effort from the wing, which was pushed onto the crossbar by the Cammell Laird goalkeeper.

The scoreline finished 1-1 at Hind Heath Road, as both sides were forced to settle for a point. Sandbach played well in the second half, yet were not clinical enough in front of goal, and multiple chances were wasted in the final stages of the game. Cammell Laird did well to hold on to the draw, and respond with a goal only five minutes after Kattah’s finish.

Sandbach now play in the Cheshire Senior Cup on Tuesday night at 7:45, as they face Macclesfield, away from home.

Further reading